- A new study has found that taking vitamin D supplements can aid in a 17 percent reduction in the chances of getting an advanced form of cancer
- Vitamin D provides many other amazing benefits (including helping to fight off COVID-19!)
- Choosing the right vitamin D supplement is important — and there are different variables to consider
Taking vitamin D supplements is terrific for many reasons — see below — but now, another truly life-changing benefit has been added to the list.
A new study, published in JAMA Network Open Medical Journal, has found that taking those who take vitamin D supplements could decrease their risk of getting cancer by more than a third.
Taking vitamin D could actually be life-changing — this is why
What makes the vitamin life-changing? Researchers linked taking a vitamin D supplement with a 17 percent reduction in the chances of getting advanced cancer.
The study — conducted by VITAL — was placebo-controlled and took place over the course of 5 years. The study included a mix of men over 50 years old and women over 55 who showed no signs of cancer. Participants, of more than 25,000, were placed into 4 groups, Originally, the goal was to investigate the different effects of vitamin D and omega-3 supplements on cancer rates.
It’s important to note that, in one other study, vitamin D deficiency was shown to be common among cancer patients. Patients with the lowest levels of vitamin D were also associated with having the most advanced cancers.
What did the researchers end up finding? Not only does taking vitamin D reduce the risk of cancer, but it also has a higher chance of reducing cancer if the person maintains a healthy body weight. While those in the study who did so saw a decrease in their likelihood of developing cancer, those who were categorized and obese did not.
“Vitamin D is a supplement that’s readily available, cheap and has been used and studied for decades,” epidemiologist and corresponding author Paulette Chandler, MD, MPH in a press release, “Our findings, especially the strong risk reduction seen in individuals with normal weight, provide new information about the relationship between vitamin D and advanced cancer.”
What else can taking vitamin D supplements do?
With this newfound information, we should all add vitamin D to the top of our lists. But it can also provide many other amazing benefits, like these:
- New research indicates that COVID-19 patients tend to lack in Vitamin D — the study suggests that people with lower levels of the vitamin have a higher likelihood of testing positive for Coronavirus, having more severe symptoms and a higher risk of complications. Right now, taking vitamin D could be more important than ever.
- Taking vitamin D supplements have been shown to decrease the risk of developing heart disease.
- Are you battling depression? Right now, depression is looming over many as the COVID-19 pandemic is well underway. Taking the vitamin could help regulate your mood and ward off the mental health disorder.
- Vitamin D is also known to aid in healthy weight loss.
It’s estimated that about 1 billion people worldwide have low levels of vitamin D in their blood. Many people seem to lack in their vitamin levels, in fact. Do you have lower levels? To be sure it could be helpful to you, it’s important to get tested by your doctor. You could already have enough vitamin D from the sun — 15 minutes to the face, arms and hands without sunscreen, twice a week, may ensure that. But always check with your doctor, beforehand.
If you’re considering adding vitamin D supplements to your daily life, it is important to make sure you’re getting quality supplements and that you’re taking the right amount. We love these options, which come in a capsule form or liquid form. The amount you’ll take varies per person depending on your blood levels. This is where a doctor’s recommendation can come in handy.
Whatever you decide to try, we’re here to support you in finding the best supplement options out there. Vitamin D get truly be a great addition to living a long, healthy life.