- The holidays are fast approaching — and while they might look different this year, we have some good news.
- A new study has found that drinking hot chocolate can actually boost your brainpower.
- Enjoy our recommended products that can have the same brain-boosting effect.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the holidays might look a little different this year. But are you ready for some good news? With the season fast approaching — bringing with it sweet treats, savory food and much temptation — you can now indulge in a favorite holiday beverage guilt-free as well as boost your brainpower.
According to a new study, drinking hot chocolate can actually make you smarter — no, really!
Can drinking hot chocolate actually boost your brainpower?
It may sound too good to be true — but it’s not. The research, conducted at the University of Birmingham, found that drinking hot chocolate actually improved the participant’s ability to solve a series of complex mental tests.
The key to this amazing discovery? The presence of flavanol. The research team found that the heightened sharpness in participants was through the brain-boosting compound which is naturally found in chocolate.Throughout the process, researchers tracked how participants — who were all healthy and between the ages of 18 to 40 — reacted to complex tests before and after drinking the delicious, chocolate treat. They found that after drinking the hot chocolate, the participants’ blood oxygenation levels increased up to 3 times, and their test times and accuracy improved.
It’s important to note that the participant’s performance also improved when extra flavanol was added to the normal hot chocolate. The researchers came to the conclusion that brainpower is linked to oxygen levels.
“We used cocoa in our experiment, but flavanols are extremely common in a wide range of fruit and vegetables,” Catarina Rendeiro, the lead author of the study said, “It also further suggests that flavanols might be particularly beneficial during cognitively demanding tasks.” Through the experiment, researchers linked improved blood oxygenation to the ability to take on challenges.
“If you’re being challenged more, your brain needs improved blood oxygen levels to manage that challenge,” Rendeiro said.
Boost your brainpower with flavanol
Whether you enjoy sipping hot chocolate into the holidays, or beyond, consider boosting your brainpower with other healthy alternatives that contain the naturally-occurring compound flavanol:
- Try the Organic PurePea Chocolate vegan protein powder — you can add it into your morning oats, protein shake or even in a dessert
- Enjoy the EssentiaBar Double Dark Chocolate bar — it’s not only great for boosting your brainpower but can also provide prebiotic fiber for gut health
- Get your protein in with this excellent snack: The Chocolate Chip Walnut brownie
Do you need any more excuse to indulge in your favorite chocolate treats? I don’t know about you, but we’ll be enjoying sipping on a cup of hot chocolate this holiday season.