- Using a collagen supplement can dramatically improve the health of your hair and skin over time.
- Not all collagen is created equal — be sure you’re taking the most bioform option available.
- There are many ways to take collagen: in your morning cup of coffee, in a smoothie or even in your favorite meal. There is an option for everyone.
If you obtain your protein from animal sources, you’ve likely also heard of collagen. If not, don’t worry — we’re here to help. Collagen, which is a protein naturally produced in the body, that provides structure to our body such as our skin, bones, hair and ligaments.
As we age, our production of collagen naturally decreases, and many people find themselves wanting the extra boost. This is where taking collagen supplements comes in.
There are additional benefits: whether you’re simply taking it as a supplement or as part of your routine, a collagen supplement will be a game-changer for your hair and skin.
Do you think taking collagen supplements might be right for you? Keep reading to find out.
Take a collagen supplement — your hair and skin will thank you
1. The benefits of collagen on your skin
If you’re considering taking a collagen supplement, you might know some of the benefits it can have on your hair and skin, including elasticity, hydration of the skin, wrinkle reduction and preserving a healthy, glowing look.
A daily dose of collagen can greatly improve your skin health. Because it plays a role in strengthening skin and may benefit elasticity and hydration, it never hurts to add it to your daily regimen. In one study, women who took a collagen supplement containing 2.5–5 grams of collagen for 8 weeks experienced less skin dryness and a significant increase in skin elasticity, compared to those who didn’t.
Who doesn’t love moisturized, glowing skin? Another study found that women who drank a beverage mixed with a collagen supplement daily, for 12 weeks, experienced increased skin hydration and a significant reduction in wrinkle depth.
The benefits of collagen on your hair
Taking collagen supplements doesn’t just benefit your skin, it can also greatly benefit your hair. If you’re looking to strengthen your hair, it might be the way to go. Collagen has been shown to positively impact hair in the following ways:
Not all collagen is created equal
It’s important to remember that, while there are many collagen supplements on the market today, not all collagen products are created equal. The most biological available form of collagen — hydrolyzed marine collagen — is derived from marine animals. Collagen can also come from animals such as cows, chickens and pigs.
Marine collagens are associated with a lower pathological risk of disease transmission. Hydrolyzed marine collagen is also known to be absorbed faster into the body in comparison to other forms. It comes with all the same great benefits of a collagen supplement at a higher quality.
When it comes to taking collagen supplements, it’s important to incorporate quality options into your regimen — using marine collagen is a great way to go.
How can you take collagen supplements?
Here is the good news: there are many, many ways to take collagen supplements. You have the option to take it, however you choose. There tends to be something for everyone. Because collagen supplements come in many forms, it might feel a bit overwhelming to make a choice.
Whether in powder form, pill form or from bone broth, we’ve got you covered. These are some of our favorite ways to take collagen supplements:
- Did you know you can put collagen in your coffee? Add a scoop of collagen creamer into your morning cup of joe for easy, hassle-free addition to your day.
- Add it to your water or juice — these flavored collagen supplement packets are great for on-the-go collagen intake.
- If you’re not a coffee drinker, no worries. There is a matcha collagen option, too.
Collagen also comes in peptides (as tiny dissolvable pills.) These can be put in anything you want — we like to add them to hot tea or coffee.
- Are you a breakfast person? Whether you’re making a smoothie or eating a bowl of oatmeal, it’s a perfect time to throw a collagen supplement powder in.
- If you’re into making soup, stew or special sauces in the kitchen — or enjoy a savory beverage — bone broth collagen may be for you.
Are you ready to try a collagen supplement? With so amazing benefits — including glowing skin and luscious hair — you’re sure to thank us, later. And with so many choices, there is truly a collagen supplement for everyone. Easily include this game-changer into your day-to-day and see the results for yourself.
Which collagen supplement is right for you? Come find out.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.